It’s a new year and sustainability is on everybody’s checklist. From a personal and workplace point of view – the world is adapting and innovating to achieve Net Zero. But what is Net Zero you may ask? There are other phrases such as Carbon Neutral, zero emissions and more which they all point to the same end goal. But how can we reduce our carbon emissions in Industry?
Net Zero explained:
Let’s start with what Net Zero means. By definition:
- a target of completely negating the amount of greenhouse gases produced by human activity, to be achieved by reducing emissions and implementing methods of absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. “global net emissions of carbon dioxide will need to fall to net zero by 2050”
As we see more sustainable living, such as electric cars being pushed worldwide, it’s needed now more than ever to focus on the carbon footprint of the industrial sectors and the impact it has on global warming.
Net Zero is the amount of carbon emissions that are put into the atmosphere, balanced out with the removal of carbon emissions. So how is this achieved? By reducing emissions from every aspect of life, homes, travel, agriculture and you guessed it – industry. Not only this, it’s about finding ways to adjust how processes are done, becoming ‘paperless’ and having ways to absorb emissions back into the land, such as planting trees of course.
UK’s target to achieve Net Zero by 2050
In 2021, the prime minister set up a 10 point plan for a green industrial revolution:
The plan focuses on increasing ambition in the following areas:
- advancing offshore wind
- driving the growth of low carbon hydrogen
- delivering new and advanced nuclear power
- accelerating the shift to zero emission vehicles
- green public transport, cycling and walking
- ‘jet zero’ and green ships
- greener buildings
- investing in carbon capture, usage and storage
- protecting our natural environment
- green finance and innovation
Of course, every business has it’s own targets. Global warming affects us all, therefore we should all take into consideration our carbon footprint. This can look like how you get to work each day, how you save energy in your households, how you wash your clothes and much more – see here for quick tips on how to save energy and reduce your bills. It may not seem like much, but if every household in the UK were to reduce their carbon footprint, that’s a lot of people…
Why the focus now and how can we achieve Net Zero in Manufacturing?
To save the planet of course! However, there has been a rise in momentum to achieve net zero in 2022 for businesses, of course it’s not going to be achieved globally for many years. However, not being environmentally-conscious in your business decision making could cost you in more ways than one…
READ the rest of this blog on our main site 👉 https://hana-tech.co.uk/2022/01/19/how-can-my-business-achieve-net-zero/
Subscribe to our blog and follow us on our socials to keep up with us and our announcements: